A Tradition of Excellence
1890 – The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur open the Academy of Our Lady of Cincinnati for girls. The first class consists of 20 students in grades one through 12. The student/teacher ratio of 1:1 begins a tradition of individualized attention that continues to this day.
1927 – Our Lady of Cincinnati becomes The Summit Country Day School. The curriculum is expanded to include physical education and a variety of cultural programs.
1941 – The Summit School for Boys is established for students in grades one through eight. At the time, it is one of only three schools of its kind in the state of Ohio.
1963 – Two of the Sisters of Notre Dame reintroduce Montessori education for three- to five-year-old students. Over time, the school becomes a leader in Montessori education.
1970 – The Summit Primary School opens for students in grades one through three. Separate middle schools for boys and girls are established for students in grades four through eight.
1972 – Boys begin attending The Summit Upper School for the first time. The school’s first coeducational class graduates in 1976.
1995 – After years of research and planning, The Summit’s character education program is implemented. The program quickly becomes a key component of the school’s educational philosophy.
1997 – The Summit builds a new middle school, renovates the main building, and completes a range of new athletic facilities.
2004 – Construction is completed on the new Lower School.
2005 – New stadium on Williams Field is completed.
2011 – First of its kind, synthetic turf baseball field at The Summit Athletic Complex is dedicated in April.
2011 – New tennis courts at The Summit Athletic Complex are dedicated in August.
2015 – A new addition is built on the east wing of the main building, and major renovations are made to update and improve the science classrooms in the west wing, Helen Williams Reading Room and the Williams Library in the Upper School.
Summit: A Sisters of Notre Dame School
The words "Notre Dame" carved in the stone arch above Summit's front doors capture the essence of what the school stands for.