Dr. Accrocco's Blogs
College Counseling Director Nick J. Accrocco, Ed.D joined the Summit community in 2019. Previously, Dr. Accrocco worked in undergraduate admissions at Vanderbilt University and the University of Pennsylvania. He also served as a college counselor in five high school communities. He is a faculty member at Rice University’s Glasscock School of Continuing Studies where he teaches school administrators and teachers the skills needed to be an effective college counselor.
He and his writing partner, Texas English teacher David H. Nathan, have co-written the book Achieving Admissions: How to Help Students Get into Selective Colleges and Keep Everyone Sane in the Process which is available through Amazon.
They also co-write a blog on college counseling for the Houston Chronicle. Their "Gray Matters" blog is available here with permission of the Houston Chronicle.
- Why you didn't get into the college you wanted
- Writing a college essay isn't easy. Here's what to do.
- College counselors: What do they really do?
- How to write a great college admissions essay
- You got into college early. Or not. Now what?
- How Hurricane Harvey changes college applications
- What students need to know about college recommendation letters
- There are many good colleges. Find one that's a good fit.
- How to make sure your college admissions offer sticks