Given the continued spread of COVID-19, we are taking additional steps operationally to lessen the risk of infection of the faculty, staff and children under our care. Here is what we have planned:
- As the governor recommended yesterday, we will limit large gatherings and limit attendance at other gatherings to students and immediate family members.
- Thursday, March 19, will now be an in-service day in addition to the already scheduled in-service on March 20. We need this additional day for the faculty to prepare to teach remotely. After school activities on this day will proceed as scheduled unless you hear otherwise. We have added a Holiday Fun and Discovery day for that Thursday in addition to the one scheduled on Friday. We have limited space in these programs so please register as soon as possible.
- Monday, March 23, will be a remote practice learning day. Students will remain at home; teachers will be teaching them remotely that day. We need this time to test our remote teaching practices, so we are ready should a shutdown occur.
- In that event, our plan now is to keep the buildings open, so faculty have access to materials and technology, and staff can continue with their work.
- We are canceling all school sponsored adult and student trips out of the city between now and the end of the school year to limit the possibility of virus exposure elsewhere.
- In addition to the restrictions we announced earlier about those who travel from or have contact with those who have traveled from Level 3 countries, we’re now adding Level 2 countries to this restriction. Please notify the division directors about such contacts and follow the procedures we outlined in our COVID-19 Community Update #2 sent on March 4.
- We urge parents, faculty and staff to limit their spring break travel.
- Between now and April 10, we are canceling all field trips. As more information about this virus becomes available, we’ll reassess whether that ban should be extended.
- We are enhancing our housekeeping sanitation protocol.
- We are having trouble acquiring sufficient hand sanitizer but will continue our best efforts in this regard. Children will be reminded before they go to lunch to wash their hands. The information the nurses sent out yesterday is equally relevant to COVID-19 prevention, so please review this information with your children.
- We are adding a COVID-19 banner on the main page of the website with a link to a page which includes all our communications on this subject as well as other helpful links and information about this virus.
Extraordinary times require extraordinary measures. We appreciate your understanding as we all work to secure the safety of our students, faculty, staff and community.
Head of School