The faculty and staff are in “full-speed-ahead” mode, as we gear up to begin teaching and learning remotely next week. I am impressed with their approach to lead and apply creative problem-solving strategies as they work through pedagogical and technological challenges of remote learning. I hope you and your children will be patient as we all learn to “do school” in a new way. A few updates:
- For those of you who need to pick up or drop off materials, we prefer you do that between 8:30 and 1 p.m. Monday through Friday. Those materials are in the Bishop’s Parlor, directly to the left as you enter the inside doors to the main building.
- We intend to have our spring break as originally scheduled. There will be no instructional expectations April 10 through April 20.
- Currently the teachers are in a learning and planning mode. Toward the end of the week, you’ll hear more from them.
- Each week teachers will post on the portal a “plan for the week,” so students and parents know what the expectations will be and can organize their time accordingly.
- If your child becomes ill and can’t do the work, please report the absence to the division administrator by email (found in the directory) each day the child isn’t working.
- We have asked teachers to set aside two hours each day Monday-Friday for virtual office hours, during which students and parents may contact the teacher individually with questions or clarifications. The teacher will announce those hours in future communications and explain how that contact will occur.
- We know this may be a stressful time for students and parents, so our school counselors and college counselors will have virtual office hours Monday through Friday during which students and parents may contact them individually with questions or concerns. The counselors will announce those hours in future communications and explain how that contact will occur.
- Our Technology Team is currently working with faculty and staff to help them prepare for remote instruction. If you have a specific tech challenge that has not already been reported to your division director, please email TechHelp@summitcds.org. Next week, the Technology Team will announce its office hours to assist you when remote learning starts up.
- Some of you have expressed concern for our hourly employees. Thank you for that. Some are our most financially vulnerable people. We are not requiring them to work on campus if they have concerns about doing so. We continue to pay them.
Unless a specific situation emerges that requires communication from my office, I expect most of the communication to you going forward will be from the division directors and the teachers.
All of us who work here are praying that our students and their families remain healthy in the coming days.
Head of School