IGknight: Music and Movement Class
The Summit IGknight program is a series of music and movement experiences designed to engage children from birth to 24 months with their parents or caregivers. Activities learned in these classes stimulate a baby’s mind and body and can be replicated at home. Aimed at the youngest musician, you and your child will strengthen your everlasting bond while exploring age-appropriate instruments, songs, stories, movement and dance.
Psychologists, neuroscientists and experts in early childhood development have demonstrated that music helps the brain make the connections needed for virtually every kind of intelligence. Research shows when babies and toddlers are consistently engaged by music in an age-appropriate setting they benefit at many levels:
- They gain the phonological processing, spoken language, and comprehension skills that are the foundation of reading.
- They build the spatial-temporal and reasoning skills required for math and science.
- They develop social and emotional skills that are essential for school readiness.
- They develop their ability to regulate their responses and relate to others.
- They improve their gross and fine motor skills through movement to music and playing simple instruments.
- They learn to socialize, take turns and share with their young peers.
The Summit’s IGknight program is a wonderful tool for school readiness.
Ignite your baby's body and mind... experience music and movement together.
COVID-19 Update: We have temporarily suspended IGknight classes due to the coronavirus pandemic. We will reassess when classes can resume at a later date.
About Donna Doran
Donna holds a B.A. in Music Education, a M.M. in Music Education with emphasis in Orff-Schulwerk from the College-Conservatory of Music at the University of Cincinnati, all three levels of certification in Orff-Schulwerk and Kindermusik training. She has presented workshops and clinics at the local, state, and national levels.
Her publications include the Orff for Everyone series, First Stage, Get in the Groove, Traditional Tales to Sing and Tell, One, Two, Three…Echo Me! Orff Companion and Goldie and the Bears in addition to others published with Heritage Music Press. She is a Contributor to the general music periodical Activate! and sits on the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra’s Advisory Committee for Education.
Donna is the former Education Director and Host for Linton Music’s Peanut Butter and Jam Sessions.
For more information, contact:
Donna Doran | Lower School Music Teacher, IGknight Music & Movement Teacher